- Food and Beverage Management
- Hospitality and Services Design, Management and Operations
- Food Industry Management
- Food Trends
- Culture & Cuisine
- Operations Management
Dr. Lilly Jan is a food and beverage management academic, consultant, and chef, with nearly 15 years in hospitality and foodservice, across the industry in catering and events, retail, television production, and more. She teach courses in restaurant management, cultures and cuisine, and foodservice facility design for the Hotel School.
Her research interests include food culture and restaurant culture, looking at career opportunities and progression for historically marginalized foodservice employees as it relates to education, training, inclusion, cultural competency, and workplace environments.
A frequently invited speaker for executive education, conferences, and industry-related events, Dr. Jan speaks on food and restaurant trends, and F&B culture as it relates to women, racial and ethnic minorities, and LGBTQIA+ individuals, and issues around food culture appropriation. She currently serves as the faculty director for James Beard Foundation’s Women Entrepreneurial Leadership (WEL) Program.
As a business consultant, she focused on F&B entrepreneurship by underrepresented founders, helping usher food business concepts to market. Past clients include food trucks, on-demand food delivery, consumer packaged goods start-ups, and retail food stores.
Prior to joining Cornell, she was the Director of Culinary Operations for Newbury College in Brookline, Massachusetts, where she also served as a faculty member and academic advisor, teaching a range of classes across culinary and hospitality management. She has also taught at Le Cordon Bleu and Boston University.
- Jan, Lilly. "Rebuilding Better: Fostering a Restaurant Industry in Service of Employees"Boston Hospitality Review. (2022)
- Jan, Lilly; Coleman, Shannon; Naig, Anirudh. "Pilot Development of a Critical Food Safety Message Visual Communication Tool for Farmers' Market Vendors"Journal of Human Sciences and Extension (Online Only). 9.3 (2021): 142-153
- Jan, Lilly; Naig, Anirudh. "Food allergen labeling of commonly used ingredients in Chinese restaurants in the United States"Food Control. 130 (2021): 108381
- Jan, Lilly; Naig, Anirudh. "Food Allergy Knowledge, Attitudes, Practices, and Training Experiences of Employees in Chinese Restaurants"Journal of Foodservice Management and Education (Online Only). 14.1 (2020): 15-24
Awards and Honors
- Ted Teng Teaching Award (2022) Cornell Peter and Stephanie Nolan School of Hotel Administration
- HADM 4380/HADM 6380 - Culture and Cuisine
- HADM 4530/HADM 6530 - Foodservice Facilities Design
- HADM 3350 - Restaurant Management
- PhD Iowa State University, 2018
- MLA Boston University, 2012
- BS Boston University, 2004