- Anne and Elmer Lindseth Dean of the Johnson Graduate School of Management
- Operations Management
- Quantitative Modeling
- Business Analytics
Samuel Curtis Johnson Graduate School of Management
Vishal Gaur is the Anne and Elmer Lindseth Dean and Emerson Professor of Manufacturing Management at the Samuel Curtis Johnson Graduate School of Management in the Cornell SC Johnson College of Business. Gaur earned his PhD from the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania (2001), MBA from the Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad (1995), and BTech in Computer Science and Engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology Delhi (1993).
As associate dean for MBA programs from 2014 to 2019, Gaur launched the Digital Technology Immersion, in which MBA candidates and students earning their MPS in data science or applied statistics develop skills in coding, databases, and advanced analytics, and learn to leverage them to tackle challenges faced by leading companies.
He also created and served as the program director for the Master of Science in Business Analytics (MSBA) program offered through eCornell, which provides working professionals a hands-on opportunity to learn about data analytics tools essential to analyzing and optimizing business decisions.
Gaur’s research focuses on data-driven analysis of problems in supply chains, retailing, e-commerce, and marketplace operations, and his work was recognized with the Wickham Skinner Early Career Research Accomplishments Award from the Production and Operations Management Society in 2006. He served as a department editor for Management Science during 2014-2021, and his current projects involve the reduction of food waste and supply chain risk. He teaches graduate courses in operations management, digital business and retail operations, and data analysis.
Gaur is the 2022 recipient of the Class of 1992 Apple Award for Excellence in Teaching, the 2020 recipient of the Stephen Russell Distinguished Teaching Award, and a three-time winner of the Johnson School’s Core Faculty Award, the Cornell-Tsinghua Dual Degree MBA Gravitas Award in 2021, the Johnson Cornell Tech Core Faculty Award by the graduating class of 2017, and honorable mention in the George B. Dantzig Dissertation Award Competition in 2001.
Well-known among students for the care and attention he gives to his teaching, he currently teaches the Semester in Strategic Operations MBA immersion course, where students go on site visits and work on client projects in topics such as industry 4.0, traceability, and sales and operations planning.
Before joining Johnson, he was an assistant professor at the NYU Stern School of Business from 2001 to 2007 and a visiting associate professor at Harvard Business School from 2007 to 2008.
- Cui, Yao; Gaur, Vishal; Liu, Jingchen. "Supply Chain Transparency and Blockchain Design"Management Science. (forthcoming).
- Akkaş, Arzum; Gaur, Vishal. "OM Forum - Reducing Food Waste: An Operations Management Research Agenda"Manufacturing and Service Operations Management. 24.3 (2022): 1261-1275
- Davis, Andrew M.; Gaur, Vishal; Kim, Dayoung. "Consumer Learning from Own Experience and Social Information: An Experimental Study"Management Science. 67.5 (2021): 2924-2943
- Gaur, Vishal; Gaiha, Abhinav. "Building a Transparent Supply Chain: Blockchain can enhance trust, efficiency, and speed"Harvard Business Review. 98.3 (2020): 94-103
- Terwiesch, Christian; Olivares, Marcelo; Staats, Bradley; Gaur, Vishal. "OM Forum - A Review of Empirical Operations Management over the Last Two Decades"Manufacturing and Service Operations Management. 22.4 (2020): 656-668
- Akkas, Arzum; Gaur, Vishal; Simchi-Levi, David. "Drivers of Product Expiration in Consumer Packaged Goods Retailing"Management Science. 65.5 (2019): 1949-2443
- Alan, Yasin; Gaur, Vishal. "Operational Investment and Capital Structure Under Asset-Based Lending"Manufacturing and Service Operations Management. 20.4 (2018): 601-800
- Fisher, Marshall; Gaur, Vishal; Kleinberger, Herb. "Curing the Addiction to Growth: Lessons from the Retail Industry"Harvard Business Review. 95.1 (2017): 66 - 74
- Osadchiy, Nikolay; Gaur, Vishal; Seshadri, Sridhar. "Systematic Risk in Supply Chain Networks"Management Science. 62.6 (2016): 1755 - 1777
- Kesavan, S.; Kushwaha, V.; Gaur, Vishal. "Do High and Low Inventory Turnover Retailers Respond Differently to Demand Shocks?"Manufacturing and Service Operations Management. 18.2 (2016): 198-215
Awards and Honors
- Class of 1992 Apple Award for Excellence in Teaching (2022) Second-Year MBA Students
- Stephen Russell '60, MBA '61 Distinguished Teaching Award (2020) Cornell SC Johnson College of Business
- Core Faculty Award (2017) Johnson Cornell Tech Class of 2017
- Wickham Skinner Early Career Research Accomplishments Award (2006) POMS
- George B. Dantzig Dissertation Award, Honorable Mention (2001) INFORMS
- NBA 6550 - Business Data Analysis with SQL
- BANA 6550 - Business Data Analysis with SQL
- NRE 5460 - Data Analytics in OM
- NBA 5205 - Digital Business and Retail Operations
- BANA 5205 - Digital Business and Retail Operations
- NMI 5000 - Directed Reading & Research
- NBA 6500 - Strategic Operations Immersion Practicum
- PhD The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, 2001
- MA The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, 2000
- MBA Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad, 1995
- Btech Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi, 1993