- Assistant Professor
- Operations Management
- Technology Strategy
- Hospitality and Services Design, Management and Operations
- Quantitative Modeling
- Applied Economics
Samuel Curtis Johnson Graduate School of Management
Yao Cui is an assistant professor of operations, technology, and information management at the Samuel Curtis Johnson Graduate School of Management at Cornell University. His research interests center around operational innovation, specifically examining how new technologies can be leveraged to develop novel operations and pricing strategies in supply chains, the gig economy, and the hospitality industry. Using both analytical and empirical methodologies, his research aims to uncover innovative solutions to practical problems facing these industries.
Professor Cui’s research articles have been published in leading journals such as Management Science, Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, and Production and Operations Management. His research has been recognized with several awards such as the INFORMS Service Science Section Best Student Paper Award, the INFORMS TIMES Best Working Paper Award, the Digital Supply Chain and Supplier Diversity Conference Best Paper Award, and the INFORMS Public Sector OR Best Paper Award. At Johnson, Professor Cui is the recipient of the 2020 Half Century Faculty Research Fellowship and the 2017 Clifford H. Whitcomb Faculty Fellowship. He currently serves as a Senior Editor for Production and Operations Management and an Associate Editor for Naval Research Logistics.
Professor Cui teaches the operations management core course in the EMBA and MBA programs, and revenue management analytics for doctoral students. In 2023, he was named one of the 40-Under-40 Best MBA Professors by Poets&Quants. Prior to joining Johnson, he received his doctoral degree from the Stephen M. Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan and his bachelor’s degree from Department of Industrial Engineering at Tsinghua University.
- Lee, Wee Kiat; Cui, Yao. "Should Gig Platforms Decentralize Dispute Resolution?"Manufacturing and Service Operations Management. (forthcoming).
- Cui, Yao; Gaur, Vishal; Liu, Jingchen. "Supply Chain Transparency and Blockchain Design"Management Science. (forthcoming).
- Cui, Yao; Hu, Ming; Liu, Jingchen. "Value and Design of Traceability-Driven Blockchains"Manufacturing and Service Operations Management. 25.3 (2023): 1099-1116
- Cui, Yao; Davis, Andrew M. "Tax-Induced Inequalities in the Sharing Economy"Management Science. 68.10 (2022): 7202-7220
- Cui, Yao; Gaur, Vishal. "Supply Chain Transparency Using Blockchain: Benefits, Challenges, and Examples"Global Logistics and Supply Chain Strategies for the 2020s: Vital Skills for the Next Generation, Ed. Rico Merkert, Ed. Kai Hobarg. Springer Nature. (2022): 307-326
- Chen, Li; Cui, Yao; Lee, Hau. "Retailing with 3D Printing"Production and Operations Management. 30.7 (2021): 1986-2007
- Cui, Yao; Orhun, A. Yeşim; Duenyas, Izak. "How Price Dispersion Changes when Upgrades are Introduced: Theory and Empirical Evidence from the Airline Industry"Management Science. 65.8 (2019): 3835-3852
- Cui, Yao; Duenyas, Izak; Şahin, Özge. "Pricing of Conditional Upgrades in the Presence of Strategic Consumers"Management Science. 64.7 (2018): 3208-3226
- Cui, Yao; Duenyas, Izak; Şahin, Özge. "Unbundling of Ancillary Service: How Does Price Discrimination of Main Service Matter?"Manufacturing and Service Operations Management. 20.3 (2018): 455-466
- Cui, Yao; Duenyas, Izak; Şahin, Özge. "Should Event Organizers Prevent Resale of Tickets?"Management Science. 60.9 (2014): 2160-2179
Awards and Honors
- Best 40-Under-40 MBA Professors (2023) Poets&Quants
- Management Science Distinguished Service Award (2022) INFORMS
- M&SOM Meritorious Service Award (2022) INFORMS
- Second Place, Digital Supply Chain and Supplier Diversity Conference Best Paper Competition (2022) Rutgers Business School, Rutgers University
- Runner-up, INFORMS TIMES Best Working Paper Award (2020) INFORMS
- NCC 5080 - Managing Operations
- NCCB 5080 - Managing Operations
- HADM 9330 - Revenue Management Analytics
- PhD University of Michigan, 2015
- BEng Tsinghua University, 2009