- Associate Professor Emeritus
- Real Estate
- Asset Management
- Hospitality and Services Design, Management and Operations
Cornell Peter and Stephanie Nolan School of Hotel Administration
Jan A. deRoos retired from Cornell University in June of 2021 and is the HVS Professor emeritus of Hotel Finance and Real Estate at the Cornell SC Johnson College of Business and a former NAIOP Faculty Fellow. He is a world expert in commercial real estate, with a focus on the treatment of lodging as a financial asset: hotel investment decisions, hotel valuation, and hotel asset management. Work includes an acclaimed eCornell online certification in hotel real estate, the Hotel Valuation Software with Stephen Rushmore of HVS, the seminal academic work on hotel management agreements and a deep stream of scholarship on hotel real estate matters.
During his Cornell career, deRoos founded the Cornell's Center for Real Estate & Finance, Cornell's Minors in Real Estate, was founding dean of the Cornell?Nanyang University (Singapore) partnership and has taught in degree programs and executive programs across the globe. He was Academic Director of the Cornell?VinUniversity Project, a collaboration with the University of Pennsylvania to assist with the creation of Vietnam's first private non?profit university. He was very active in curricular design at Cornell and for a host of hospitality management schools. Prior to joining Cornell, deRoos worked as a construction and engineering manager. His degrees are from Cornell University; a PhD focused on Hotel Real Estate and Law, a MS in Hotel Engineering (Mechanical), and a BS in Hotel Administration. Hobbies include cooking and outdoor activities.
- Boudry, Walter; deRoos, Jan; Ukhov, Andrey. "Diversification Benefits of REIT Preferred and Common Stock: New Evidence from a Utility-based Framework"Real Estate Economics. (forthcoming).
- Nelson, Robert; deRoos, Jan; Ukhov, Andrey. "The Impact of Publicly Owned Hotels on Competing Properties"Cornell Hospitality Quarterly. 57.4 (2016): 348-366
Awards and Honors
- Faculty Teaching Recognition Award - Graduate Elective (2017) Cornell SC Johnson College of Business, School of Hotel Administration
- Most Downloaded document in the Scholarly Commons (2016) Scholarly Commons
- Best Paper Award (2013) International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management
- PhD School of Hotel Administration, Cornell University, 1994
- MS School of Hotel Administration, Cornell University, 1980
- BS School of Hotel Administration, Cornell University, 1978