- Professor Emeritus
- Services Operations Management
- Revenue Management
Cornell Peter and Stephanie Nolan School of Hotel Administration
Sheryl E. Kimes is an emeritus professor of operations management at the School of Hotel Administration. From 2005 to 2006, she served as interim dean of the school, and from 2001 to 2005, she served as the school's Richard and Monene P. Bradley Director of Graduate Studies. Kimes specializes in revenue management. She has been named the school's graduate teacher of the year three times and was awarded a Menschel Distinguished Teaching Fellowship by Cornell University in 2014.
Kimes's research and consulting interests revolve around pricing and revenue management in the restaurant, hotel, and other capacity-constrained industries. She is particularly interested in the impact of pricing and revenue management practices on customers. She has over 100 articles in leading journals, such as Interfaces, Journal of Operations Management, Journal of Service Research, Decision Sciences, and the Cornell Hospitality Quarterly. She was awarded the CHR Award for Industry Relevance in 2010, 2012 and 2014 and was given a lifetime achievement award by the Production and Operations Management Society in 2010.
Kimes has served as a consultant to many hospitality enterprises around the world, including Hyatt International, Intercontinental Hotel Group, Olo, SevenRooms, Walt Disney World Resorts, the Panama Canal, and Ticketmaster. She was given the Vanguard Award for Lifetime Achievement in Revenue Management by the Hotel Sales and Marketing Association International in 2017.
Kimes earned her doctorate in operations management in 1987 from the University of Texas at Austin.
- Kimes, Sheryl; Ho, Jeannette. "Implementing Revenue Management in Your Restaurants: A Case Study with Fairmont Raffles Hotels International"Cornell Hospitality Report. School of Hotel Administration, Cornell University. 19.5 (2019): 1-13
- Kimes, Sheryl. "The Future of Hotel Revenue Management"Cornell Hospitality Report. School of Hotel Administration, Cornell University. 17.1 (2017): 3-10
- Kimes, Sheryl. "The Future of Hotel Revenue Management"Cornell Hospitality Report. School of Hotel Administration, Cornell University. 10.14 (2010): 6-15
- Kimes, Sheryl; Collier, Joel. "How Customers View Self-service Technologies"MIT Sloan Management Review. 57.1 (2015): 25-26
- Kimes, Sheryl; Beard, Jonathan. "The Future of Restaurant Revenue Management"Journal of Revenue and Pricing Management. 12.September (2013): 464-469
- Kimes, Sheryl. "Restaurant Revenue Management: Implementation at Chevys Arrowhead"Cornell Hotel and Restaurant Administration Quarterly. 45.1 (2004): 52-67
- Kimes, Sheryl; Ho, Jeannette. "Revenue management in luxury hotels"Journal of Revenue and Pricing Management. 17 (2018): 291-295
Awards and Honors
- Vanguard Award for Lifetime Achievement in Revenue Management (2017) The Hositality Sales and Marketing Association International (HSMAI)
- Lifetime Achievement Award (2010) POMS Service Operations Society
- PhD University of Texas, Austin, 1987
- MBA New Mexico State University, 1983
- MA University of Virginia, 1977
- BA University of Missouri, 1975