Improving learning outcomes of 50 million students in Indonesia

Johnson’s Social Impact Internship Fund enabled Amanda Srishima, MBA '21, to pursue a summer internship with the Ministry of Education and Culture in Indonesia.

By: Amanda Srishima, Two-Year MBA ’21
A mural featuring the head of an Indonesian man with glasses, wearing a traditional black peci cap, white jacket and black tie surrounded by colorful educational symbols from math and science.

A creative mural in one of the public high schools in Jakarta, Indonesia

My love for pedagogy started very early. Growing up in Indonesia, I collected books from friends and created mini libraries for kids. At some point, I realized that there are many notable books that have not been translated to Bahasa Indonesia and not everyone has access to effective English language courses. Acknowledging my privilege of English fluency, I spent two hours every Saturday morning teaching basic English to a class of eight underprivileged kids in Duren Sawit, Jakarta Timur.

A group of smiley young Indonesian girls wearing pants and hajibs are waving as they walk between buildings
After a year, the kids in Duren Sawit are able to converse in English.

Unlocking access for others to learn: Starting small

With my educational background in finance, I started to realize the importance of financial literacy. The question was, how do I get kids to be interested in financial education? With support from my employer at the time, I initiated a program to teach financial education to youth through cartoon videos. We created two relatable animal characters and six simple modules to teach the importance of financial savings and planning. Published through Standard Chartered Bank’s YouTube channel, the video reached close to 40,000 views in one year.

Three women and two men holding microphones standing in front of a colorful backdrop of large cupcakes.
Presenting the financial literacy cartoon videos in a town hall, where our team won the Financial Education Innovation Fund in 2017
School entrance and walkway with two girls walking away under a sign that reads, “Welcome to Junior High School”
Colorful entrance at a Junior High School in Indonesia

Continuing my passion to contribute in the education sector, for my summer internship during my MBA, I worked for the Government of Indonesia, with support from Johnson’s Social Impact Internship Fund. In this role, I was part of a mission-driven team that focused on creating digital transformation for the Ministry of Education and Culture (MOEC). I collaborated with engineers, government stakeholders, and consultants in pioneering education technology products to improve students’ learning outcomes. I also identified and assessed potential strategic partnerships between state-owned enterprises and leading industry players. I leveraged my MBA skills to draft strategic documents for proposed initiatives, which included the creation of multi-scenario financial projections, key success metrics, and standard operating procedures.

Leveraging technology to create impact

With one of the largest education systems in the world, Indonesia is home to over 50 million students, 200,000 schools, and 2.5 million teachers, committing about 20 percent of its annual state budget to education. With President Joko Widodo’s emphasis on developing human capital, my team at MOEC focused on using technology to provide services to accelerate the learning outcome of students.

The Government of Indonesia has publicly announced two main products developed by our team: Mass Teachers Platform (MTP) and School Operational Assistance (Bantuan Operasional Sekolah, or BOS Marketplace).

Mass Teacher Platform

For nation-wide education reform to be successful, MOEC needs K–12 teachers who are strong in both pedagogical knowledge and leadership skills to become school principals. These highly skilled teachers—known as Guru Penggerak (GPs)—are to be fast-tracked to become instructional leaders who can cross-pollinate other teachers across the country.

As MOEC aims to recruit 100,000 GPs in the next five years, we created the MTP as a fast and scalable online recruitment platform to identify these teachers.

With the COVID-19 crisis, the government determined that GP training must be virtual. As a result, virtual training was incorporated into the MTP so teachers can receive training materials through live or recorded sessions and other online learning mechanisms. This could pave the way for these teachers to learn innovative technologies for distance learning and, in turn, enable them to use and apply the latest software and tools with their students in the future.

On the right side is a cartoon image of 4 people sitting in chairs in a semi-circle facing a person standing holding a book; on the left side is text in Bahasa Indonesia.
Mass Teacher Platform’s landing page

Online marketplace for School Operational Assistance funding and spending

The School Operational Assistance program (BOS Marketplace) is an education grants scheme that provides additional financial support to over 200,000 schools in Indonesia. As this program dictates direct total payments of more than USD 4 billion equivalent every year, there is an urgent need for transparency and accountability in its implementation and spending. Moreover, due to the current bureaucratic process, schools must conduct a tedious budgeting and reporting process that involves multiple government entities: MOEC, the Ministry of Finance, and the Ministry of Home Affairs.

As an e-commerce platform, the BOS Marketplace initiative was designed to simplify the process and serve as a one-stop shop for the schools to purchase their operational needs through the program’s funding. Moreover, this platform will ensure that MOEC centrally curates credible suppliers and tracks each step of the spending, enabling digitalized payments and electronic approvals. Ultimately, it is an optimized planning and budgeting system for schools to prioritize the spending for items that accelerate learning outcome of students.

Looking to the future

Through this internship experience, I learned about the importance of public–private partnerships and the role industry leaders can play in government projects to accelerate completion and reduce bottlenecks in implementation. It also allowed me to combine my newly acquired MBA skills with my passion for education.

The Government of Indonesia has ambitious goals for MOEC. MOEC has exceeded every expectation thus far, so I am certain that these breakthrough innovations will reform the education system for Indonesian students and improve learning outcomes. All in all, I have high hopes that the students in remote areas of Papua can get the same quality of education as the students in the capital city of Jakarta one day.

Learn more about CSGE

headshot of Amanda Srishima

Amanda Srishima, Two-Year MBA ’21

Amanda Srishima is a second-year MBA student in the Samuel Curtis Johnson Graduate School of Management and a recipient of Johnson’s Social Impact Internship Fund. Originally from Jakarta, Indonesia, she completed an undergraduate dual-degree program in finance and management from the University of Indonesia and University of Melbourne. She then worked in management consulting with Accenture and in corporate banking with Standard Chartered for six years in Jakarta, Hong Kong, and Singapore. Amanda is passionate about education technology, digital marketing, the public sector, and renewable energy.

1 Comment

1. Congratulation for your achievement Manda, I have strong expectation that an incredible person like you must be given opportunity to contribute your knowledge and skill to develope Indonesià. You choose education for the young generation in Indonesia as your fièld of dedication. Very chàlenging for ordinàry people, but not so chalenging for talènted person likè you. It just meet & matched with your passion. Am I right..?? Finally as an old man, I wish all the veŕy best for your carrier in future… ģood luck Manda, GBU.