Matthew Sovik ’24 Reflects On His Dyson School Experience

By: Staff
Warren Hall with flowering trees.

Matthew Sovik ’24

Major/program: AEM with concentrations in Strategy and International Trade & Development

Headshot of Matthew Sovik.

What will you always remember about your time at Cornell?

I will always remember the community of peers and mentors I had in Dyson. I learned so much from my classmates both in and out of the classroom, as they consistently motivated me to better myself  and explore new interests. The atmosphere and support students receive and engage with in Dyson is truly special.

Why is it so memorable?

It is so memorable because of how impactful it was to me during my Cornell experience. Without the support I received from the Dyson community, I would not have been the version of myself and the business student that I am today.

Doing the greatest good is a big part of being a Cornellian. How will you carry this into your career and life after Cornell?

At Cornell, I have been engaged with social impact through extracurricular and course commitments across all four years of my time here. Social impact was integrated into so many aspects of my Cornell experience that it is inevitable that I will carry it into my future career and life. Although it may be difficult to have a significant social impact starting out as an analyst at a bulge bracket bank, I hope that later in my career I am able to transition to a career directly involving social impact.

What is the most valuable thing you learned in your time at Cornell?

The most valuable thing I learned at Cornell was how to be confident in and advocate for myself. Throughout my time at Cornell, I have learned that speaking up for your needs and being confident in your abilities can get you so far in securing the opportunities you want and resources you need.

How will you use this lesson or knowledge in the future?

As I enter my career and new opportunities arise both in and outside of my workplace, I will continue to pursue my goals and advocate for myself to access these opportunities. I’ve learned so much about confidence and the ability to assert my best self during my time at Cornell, and I plan to keep this learning with me in future endeavors.

What are you most looking forward to after graduation?

I’m excited to move to New York City and be surrounded by so many Cornellians who have made such a substantial impact on me during my time here. The atmosphere of Cornell is something I’ll miss about campus, but I find comfort knowing that so many of the individuals fostering that atmosphere are joining me in New York City full-time as alumni.