Meet Our New Faculty: Johnny Tang

By: Staff
headshot of Johnny Tang.

Johnny Tang, assistant professor of finance at the Johnson School

Johnny Tang | Assistant Professor of Finance | Johnson School

Meet Johnny Tang, assistant professor of finance at the Samuel Curtis Johnson Graduate School of Management and one of the newest faculty members in the Cornell SC Johnson College of Business. Tang earned his PhD in economics from Harvard University.

Learn more about Tang’s areas of expertise, research focus, courses he is teaching, and other interests in this Q&A.

What are your research and teaching areas of focus?

My research and teaching areas of focus are in finance and its interactions with macroeconomics and behavioral economics. In one line of work, I study how news and information are incorporated into asset prices, how market participants react to news, and whether their behaviors can predict movements in asset prices. In another line of work, I study how government policies such as capital regulations and tax policies affect how financial intermediaries like banks and insurance companies operate, and how their decisions, in turn, affect the real economy.

What class(es) will you be teaching this year?

I will be teaching Corporate Finance (AEM 4570).

What attracted you to the Cornell SC Johnson College of Business and to the Samuel Curtis Johnson Graduate School of Management, specifically?

I was drawn to the collegial and vibrant research community at Cornell and the Samuel Curtis Johnson Graduate School of Management. The faculty and students here are among the leaders in their fields and I am looking forward to learning from and working with them.

What first sparked your interest in finance?

I first became interested in financial markets because it was a fascinating world where my favorite topics—math, policies, and human behaviors—collided. In finance, there is a role for many factors to dramatically change the lives of people and the course of the global economy, from quantitative modelling to government policies to human psychology and behaviors. As a result, I found that finance spoke to many of the things I was most interested in and it allowed me to think about important and pressing questions facing the world today.

What are you most looking forward to during your first year at Johnson?

I’m looking forward to getting to know and learn from my faculty colleagues and exploring all the resources and opportunities that Cornell has to offer.

What do you do to recharge?

I enjoy watching baseball, eating good Chinese food, and spending time with friends and family.